Monday, March 21, 2011

Best Recovery Ever.

Yesterday was the Florida Beaches Halfathon and 5k at Fort de Soto, FL.  My coworker had just completed the C25K program and I told him I would help him find a good 5k to race.  I found one that served beer afterwards and he was sold.  I talked (even though it didn't take much convincing) RBK into running it as well. 

I didn't sleep very well Saturday night and was awake at 4:00 am, an hour before my alarm.  I had 1!! cup of coffee and some pb bread while catching up on the happenings in blog world.  I got ready and did a breathing treatment before heading out the door with my very supportive husband. 

Found this crazy girl in the parking lot.

We all arrived, picked up our chips and waited for the start.  The halfathon started at 7:05 and the 5k at 7:20.  We stretched and warmed up, anxious to get started.  I was a little nervous since my lungs have been so tight lately.  I really wanted to run a good race. 


That palm tree didn't look quite so dead in the dark.
Nerd.

Super Nerd.
  
See ya in 3.1 miles.
The three of us stayed together working our way through the crowd for the first half mile, then RBK took off and found her groove.  She said she would probably be running slower today because she fell during her 10k the day before and was really sore, the concert the night before didn't help her recuperate.  Not so much, she is A for Awesome.

Mile 1 came quickly, a little too quickly for me, 9:43.  That is not the pace for this turtle.  I guess I let the endorphins take over.  The second mile was alot slower because I had started out so fast, it was around a 12 minute mile.  It didn't help that the water station volunteer dropped the cup of water on my foot.  Thank goodness it was only a 5k and I didn't have to run too long with my wet righty.  The second cup of water must have been laced with something, because I got my second wind and felt great.  The woman in front of me had a little bit of a quicker pace so I grabbed to her shirt tails and stayed with it.  I missed the 3rd mile marker and before I knew it the finish line was approaching, so I sped up even more, I was really feeling good.  32:24 gun time.  Mike was only a few seconds behind me, Way to go!!

31:48 chip time

Way to go Mike!!
Beer at 8am is totally acceptable, we work night shift.
After the race RBK, Mike, Smooth, and my boss Richard, who came to cheer us on, and I went to breakfast at Beverly's La Croisette at St. Pete Beach.  We have been checking out the menu all week.  I love breakfast foods.  My husband's french toast looked delicious so of course I had to try a few bites.  It was just as good as it looked.  I got the Florentine Benny which was very good. 

RBK came back to my place after breakfast to have blender drinks and lay by the pool.  It was such a beautiful day yesterday.  We sat in the pool for a few minutes to cool our legs down.  The water is still pretty chilly, but it didn't take long to get used to it.  The pools in Maryland were the temperature most of the summer, another reason I love Florida so much. 

I put some burgers, brats, and shrimp and pineapple kabobs on the grill for "linner".  RBK and I had some Banana Bread beers and continued to enjoy the sunshine.  We lounged by the pool for a bit longer, and I couldn't take it anymore, it was too nice, so I jumped in the pool.  Whoa!  It was super cold.  But only for a second.  So March 20, 2011, the first day of spring, was the first day in the pool.  Last year it was Easter Sunday April 4th. 

After a quick trip to Target, I came home, and curled up on the couch, for the night.

That was the best post race recovery I've ever had. 

What is your favorite way to recover?
Blender drinks and sunshine, definitely.

What is the deal with the $500 RedStar gift card?
Feels pretty scammy to me.

1 comment:

  1. I am debating doing a 10k trail run this weekend... there is free beer and a buffet after. Always a huge perk! LOL!
    I can't wait until the race season really kicks in here in NJ. Rainy gross day today. :(

    ReplyDelete